Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Complexities

I just received an E-mail asking for money for Democratic candidates.  All of the candidates I voted for in yesterday's primary, the ones who told hard truths, like we Have to switch off of fosil fuels and here is how, or Our schools are sinking, or why must we balance the budget on the backs of the poor, the all lost.  So, do I send money?

When voting I tend to vote for candidates I think will harm the most vulnerable people Least.  On a local level these may be Republicans.  For state and federal elections I Tend to vote Democrat, since in a General way, they are willing to share the American pie with moe of us.

But it's complex.  There are still Dixiecrats and Democrats.  Do I send money?

I feel disgusted with Both parties and Cannot understand how the Same state and federal congresspeople who have done almost Nothing helpful keep being voted back into office.  Why send them money?

If I contribute to a political campaign it is likely to be the campaign of a Specific candidate who I believe will do the Least damage to the poorest of us.  But even This is complex.  Native people have done  well under Republican administrations, in land claims cases.

Doll Naming Complexity.  There is a Journey Girl, (18 inch doll) at Toys'r-us named Callie. 

A sociologist once told me that the political events which take place in the first 15 to 20 years of a person's life are very likely to influence heir political behavior more than subsequent events.  For me those events included: the murders of President Kenedy, his brother Robert, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X., Medgar Evers, Watergate break in, And the Vietnam War.  I had an uncle who did three tours in Vietnam and have made friends with others of my age group whose loved ones were killed or permanently injured in Vietnam.

I remember the news reports of the Mylai Massacre and the trial of Lieutennt William Callie.  At the time all of the adults I knew were glad when he was acquited.

But as an adult myself I have to ask, Should he have been?  Isn't the Mylai Massacre a small sample of what goes on in wars Everywhere?  Can there really Be wars without attrocities? I don't think so.  All I know is every time I hear of a supposedly half-Asian American doll named Callie, I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Of course younger people don't have this association and people my age want to forget.  I guess I paid such close attention because a family member I love was in Vietnam and we didn't know where.

Some interesting data about charitable organizations follows.  It isn't related to the post, but I want to share it.

 Red Kettles & Bell Ringers
As you open your pocketbooks for the next natural disaster,
please keep these facts in mind:
The American Red Cross
 President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for the year was
$951,957 plus expenses.
The United Way
 President Brian Gallagher receives a
$675,000 base salary along with
numerous expense benefits.
UNICEF CEO
 Caryl M. Stern receives
$1,900,000
per year (158K) per month, plus
all expenses
 including a
ROLLS ROYCE
.
Less than 5 cents (4.4 cents) per donated dollar goes to the cause.
The
Salvation Army's Commissioner
 Todd Bassett receives a salary of only
$13,000 per year
 (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.
The American Legion National
 Commander receives a
$000 zero
salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
· The Veterans of Foreign Wars
 National Commander receives a
$000 zero salary
. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
· The Disabled American Veterans
 National Commander receives a
$000 zero salary
.  Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
· The
Military Order of Purple Hearts
National Commander receives a
$000 zero salary
.  Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
· The
Vietnam Veterans Association
 National Commander receives a
$000 zero salary
.  Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
No further comment is necessary
.
Please share this with everyone you can.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph,
is for good men to do nothing!
God bless our Troops and the
folks who try to take care of
them.

No comments:

Post a Comment