Monday, September 9, 2013

Doll Story

Forest Jem

Hi, my name is Gem.  My mom spelled it Jem, but I like my name with a G.  That way it is the same as the beautiful stones which come out of the Earth, like a green emerald, or black onyx.

I work for a group which tries to tell the world when ordinary people, called civilians, are being harmed.  Sometimes these people are hurt by their own governments, or the army which  the government commands.  But other times they are kidnapped and injured by criminals or groups which want a country to do some particular thing.  So I have to sneak around a lot.

I dress this way because right now I mostly work in countries with a lot of forests.  I Love having green ombred hair, starting at the ends with a light green and graduating to  black on my head.  My friend Ann dyed my hair.   I'm the only person like me I've ever seen!  But my hair, brown shirt, and  black jacket, pants, and shoes also help me blend in quietly to the forest, when I'm waiting to meet someone who is scared to come forward and tell me what happened to them.  Sometimes I have to watch out for the bad guys too, and try to warn people to run away when they come around.  Then my dark colors of hair and clothing  help.

I believe that people are mostly trying to have good hearts and to care what happens to others.  You can be a person like this without doing the kind of work I do.  It's as simple as talking to a lonely neighbor when you don't really feel like it.  Just calming down and deciding to listen to someone can save a life, I know, I've done it.

Or maybe you will share food or money for food and medicine with hungry people in your city or even in another country.,

I hope we can be friends.  All it takes is that you care about somebody and do something to help.  Well, you kind of have to enjoy funny colors of hair too, and beads. 

Once a lady told me that I was like those birds who love to collect shiny things.  You know, like crows, ravens, magpies, birds like that.  She was right about me!  Every country I go to if anyone asks how they can thank me or wants to give me a gift I just say, "Do you know where I can find a nice bead or two?"

The beads aren't too expensive for people to give or make.  Each bead or group of beads reminds me of the country where I got it and the brave daring people I met there who had the courage to come forward and tell their stories.  So I wear this shiny necklace of mismatched beads.  Each is a different color.  Sometimes I even Find one dropped in the forest, either by a bird or by people who had to run away.

My necklace can be hidden by my jacket and shirt.  I also carry feathers or leaves I find or am given to hide my pale face and bright makeup.  My funny makeup is how people recognize me, that and my necklace.  So far, no creep has seen me long enough to copy either one.

Would you like to be my friend?
I'd like to be yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment