Saturday, July 16, 2011

Blogger for users with disabilities

I will have to check my version of browser to see if it will be supported in future by Blogger.com.

In the meantime, I would like the "Blogger Team" to please put on a blindfold, then point the mouse and click on the icon to the right of the green bunny, or whatever it is.

Many people with disabilities are living well Under the Federal Poverty Level. Many of us have computers a decade old or More. We Might be able to come up with the bucks to replace the hardware. But specialized Software, adaptive devices which allow us to speak what we want the computer to do, or Screen Reading software, no Chance!

I Hope Blogger will take Boby recommendations (ADA recommendations) into account as it continues to update.

Those of us with disabilities are looking at probable cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income. We can't count on anything improving financially in the future, any more than unemployed people can.

Every time I contact Tech. Support for Anything, from Any Company, the conversation goes something like:

"Ok, now what I need you to do first is tell me what lights are on, on your modem."

"I'm blind, I can't see to do that. All I can tell you is that a bit of heat seems to be coming from the left most light and the one just to the right of that, but no heat is around the third light."

"Right, but which color is the light that isn't heating up?"

"I am Totally blind and can't give you that information."

"Have you tried unplugging your modem for a few minutes then plugging it back in?"

"Yes. And I still can't get onto the Net."

"Push the Reset button."

"Where is it?"

"It's that little Green button on the back."

Etc. I say there isn't a button, the tech. says I need a small pointed object to push it, only Then do I figure out it is Inset into the device, it is not a protruding Button at all.

Another conversation:

"Click on the green bunny at the top right of the screen and tell me what the hour glass does."

"I would like to, but I'm blind. I cannot See the screen."

"Oh, how amazing, you use a computer and your blind? That's great. Now the green bunny is located . . ."

"I can't See to point a Mouse (rodent)."

"Well it isn't hard, you can Drag and Drop . . ."

"I must use Keyboard Commands to make my computer do Anything. Do you know the Keyboard Command to move the green bunny?"

"Sure, just click on the . . ."

If the technician were from a different country where blind people rarely have the opportunity to achieve any independence, this conversation might make sense. The Technician would have No Frame of Reference for a Blind person Using a Computer. It would be like announcing to him or her that a Martian is munching the surge protector.

I am deaf enough not to be able to understand soft-voiced English speakers who will not raise their voices. Sometimes I find the kindness and Attempts to help Greater among overseas technicians.

But these are American, U.S. Tech. Support? people!

So, I always write ignored E-mails asking how much trouble it would be to have One technician for the U.S. who Knew about adaptive computer technology. Well Blogger.com, what's Your answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment